- Ocular knob
- Body Tube
- Mechanical stage knob
- Coarse adjustment knob
- Fine adjustment knob
- Substage lamp
- Stage clip of mechanical stage
- Revolving nosepiece
Quick and Easy Steps for Use of the Microscope
- Carry the scope with both hands, one on the arm, one on the base.
- Using the Coarse Adjustment Knob (CA knob) , move the stage all the way down. (This
prevents damage to the objectives.)
- Using lens paper ONLY, clean all pieces of glass: the oculars, objectives, condenser
lens, and light source.
- Using the condenser knob, move the condenser lens upward until it is almost flush
( at the same level) with the stage.
- NOW plug in your scope and turn on the light switch.
- Using the diaphragm lever or diaphragm dial (located under the stage), open the diaphragm.
- Using the rotating nosepiece, move the 4X objective into place.
- Place the microscope slide FLAT on the stage.
- Holding the mechanical stage clip open, SLIDE the microscope slide into the mechanical
- Looking directly at the stage (DO NOT look through the oculars!), center the specimen
or cover slip directly over the brightly-lit condenser lens. Use your mechanical stage
knobs to do this.
- Using the CA knob, move the stage all the way up until it comes to the Automatic Stop.
(Only the 4X lens has this Auto Stop.)
- NOW (But not before now), look in the oculars.
- SLOWLY move the CA knob downward until you come into focus. (Congratulations!)
- Once you are in focus on 4X, YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY IN FOCUS ON ALL OTHER POWERS! (This
is called Parfocalization.)
- DO NOT touch the CA knob anymore, or you will lose your focus. Simply dial-in any
objective you wish.
- If you need to re-focus, use ONLY the Fine Adjustment Knob.
- At higher powers, your specimen may be larger than your field of view. You may have
to "hunt" for it using your mechanical stage knobs.
- To use the oil immersion power, you MUST put ONE drop of oil on the slide. Dial "in-between"
any two objectives to do this.
- BEFORE you remove any slide, always return to 4X power.
- Clean any oil off the slide and return it to its proper tray.
- Clean any oil off the objectives. Use only lens paper.
- Turn off the light switch; unplug the cord; WRAP the cord around the scope.
- Store the microscope on 4X power ONLY.