What is an interview?
A two-way, formal conversation held for an employer to assess the candidacy of a job
applicant and for an applicant to assess the job opportunity. Additionally, the employer
sells the opportunity to the applicant and the applicant sells him/herself for the
Preparing for the interview:
- Conduct research on the position, organization and the field.
- Know who you are, what you have to offer an employer and what you’re looking for.
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer and answers to questions that you may be
- Practice your interviewing skills.
- Bring extra copies of your resume and your reference sheet with you.
What should I wear?
All applicants should look neat, clean and appropriate for the work environment they
would like to enter. Further information is available in our office, in libraries
What are some Dress for Success Websites?
What are some Dress for Success Books?
- The New Professional Image: From Business Casual to the Ultimate Power Look by Susan
- You Are What You Wear Published by William Thourlby
- Your Executive Image by Victoria Seitz
- What do all employers look for? Fit Competence Commitment
- Interview Stages:1st Introduction2nd Information exchange3rd Closing
Interview Do’s and Dont's:
- Do watch your nonverbal communication: smile, use strong eye contact and sit straight.
- Do plan on arriving 10-15 minutes early and practice the commute.
- Do send a follow-up thank-you letter.
- Don’t chew gum, use vulgar language or engage in any other impolite behavior.
- Don’t volunteer information about your private life.