Founded in 1993, the Creative Writing Project (CWP) at Nassau Community College, a
member of the Association of Writers Programs (AWP), was one of the first community
college creative writing programs in the United States. As of 2016, the project became
a program, offering an A. A. degree in Creative Writing.
The Program seeks to:
- enrich the lives of students and the community at large by celebrating the art of
- encourage student appreciation and pursuit of imaginative writing through courses
in poetry, fiction and play and screenwriting
- educate students and community members about the profession and craft of writing through
the Literature, Live! reading series, which invites both nationally and internationally
acclaimed authors to share their work and experiences
- extend opportunities for students working with Luna, the student literary magazine,
to work directly with the CWP
- expose the next generation of writers to the world of creative writing by reaching
beyond the classroom and campus into the Nassau community, uniting the College with
local school districts and community programs.