General Information

Phone: 516.572.7345

Programs Available

It is important that applicants review the Program and Admissions Requirements chart in order to determine the program to which they wish to apply. The chart provides a complete list of available programs, as well as the requirements needed for admission and deadline dates, if different from the general deadlines.

Transfer Program versus Career Program

Career-oriented programs result in either an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree or a certificate. Transfer-oriented programs lead to either an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree. However, many of our students who complete A.A.S. degree programs successfully transfer to four-year colleges. It is also true that students who complete an A.A. or A.S. (transfer-oriented) degree program will find their preparation at Nassau beneficial in helping them find employment, if they choose to work while subsequently completing their bachelor’s degre.

Liberal Arts – What is it and what can it do for me?

In addition to our other transfer programs, Nassau offers A.A. and A.S. degree programs in Liberal Arts and Sciences. These transfer-oriented programs provide an appropriate first two years of study for students wishing to pursue the baccalaureate degree in a variety of areas.

Placement Testing

Degree or certificate-seeking applicants and applicants without a high school diploma may need to take a reading-English-mathematics placement test prior to registering for courses.

Applicants who demonstrate deficiencies in any of the three areas of reading, English, or mathematics will be required to register for necessary remedial course work in their first semester. Applicants who have deficiencies in two areas will also be required to enroll in NCC 101 (The College Experience). Applicants with deficiencies in all three areas will be required to complete the College’s Basic Education Program prior to enrolling in any credit-bearing courses. Applicants whose first language is not English will be tested by the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program and may be required to take ESL courses prior to their regular academic courses.

Waivers to specific portions or all of the placement test are given based on SAT, Regents scores and previous college level work. 

Immunization requirement

State Law dictates that students enrolling in 6 or more credits provide immunization documents and a meningitis survey to the Student Health Office. Students are encouraged to provide them upon application for admission to avoid registration restrictions.

Center for Students with Disabilities

A variety of services are available to those who identify themselves on the application for admission as having a physical, psychological, visual, hearing or learning disability. For more information, contact the Center for Students with Disabilities.

Continuing Education–Lifelong Learning

A separate application form is required for Lifelong Learning applicants. Information about available programs and courses may be found on the Continuing Education web page.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Applicants for financial aid should complete the financial aid applications for an academic year on or after January 1. Since there are limited funds available in certain financial aid programs, students who require financial aid to finance their studies should apply early for both admission to the College and for financial aid programs. Visit the Financial Aid Office website for information.

Top of page