Respiratory Care Program Mission Statement
The Respiratory Care Program is a component of the Allied Health Sciences Department at Nassau Community College. Consistent with the mission of Nassau Community College, the Respiratory Care Program is dedicated to providing low cost, high quality education to prepare graduates for positions as advanced level respiratory therapists who possess the necessary knowledge, skills and behavior to deliver prescribed respiratory care safely and competently.
In fulfillment of this mission, the Program strives to:
- provide an environment that promotes and facilitates academic and clinical excellence
- provide educational activities which support optimal technical, communication and patient care skills
- enhance students’ problem solving and critical thinking skills
- integrate into the Program general education and professional courses to provide provide an ethical framework for practice within the discipline
Primary Program Goal:
To prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
Program Learning Goals:
Upon completion of the Respiratory Care Program graduates will be competent advanced-level respiratory therapists able to meet the needs of the community and will demonstrate:
- knowledge necessary to competently perform as advanced-level respiratory therapists;
- technical skill necessary to competently perform as advanced-level respiratory therapists;
- professional conduct, behavior, attitude and planning and communication skills necessary to competently perform as advanced-level respiratory therapists;
- the clinical judgment, concept integration, critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills necessary to competently perform as advanced-level respiratory therapists.
- commitment to the highest professional standards of ethical conduct by promoting the values of compassion, respect and dignity in providing respiratory care.
Assessment of Success in Attaining Program Goal:
- Successful completion of all lecture and laboratory examinations
- Successful completion of all laboratory and clinical motor skill, cognitive, behavioral and summary evaluations
- Successful completion of a comprehensive National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) Certified Respiratory Therapist self-assessment examination
- Graduate National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) CRT Credentialing Success (NYS Technician Licensure Examination)
- Graduate National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) RRT Credentialing Success (NYS Therapist Licensure Examination)
- Graduate Positive Job Placement
- Scoring by Graduates on Graduate Surveys
- Scoring by Employers on Employer Surveys