Honors Program Overview
The Honors Program provides a series of enriched, not accelerated, courses for students who meet the criteria and want to enhance their education.
Developed to attract academically gifted students to the College, any student, regardless of his/her major, can participate. There are two ways students can enter the program: most students are invited at the beginning of their freshman year, and attending students are invited if they have achieved a 3.4 GPA.
WHY CHOOSE THE HONORS PROGRAM at NCC?
- Superb preparation for transferring to a four-year institution
- Reasonable costs for the first two years of college
- Personal attention through individualized counseling in planning an appropriate academic course of study and through small classes with Nassau's finest professors
- Extra activities designed to enrich the entire educational experience and sense of belonging to a community of scholars
- Recognition at Awards Night ceremony for all participants
- Personal satisfaction derived from participating in a special quality curriculum
All Honors courses satisfy general degree requirements.
HOW ARE THE HONORS COURSES DIFFERENT?
The Honors Program offers a series of enriched courses. An enriched course can be defined as a regular course that includes one or more of the following components: different textbooks and outside readings, different paper assignments and projects, and a demand for more abstract and quality ideas. In essence, Honors sections are more interesting. They are not harder, they are better. All the students in an Honors class are bright, academic achievers who are highly motivated and excellent learners. The whole classroom atmosphere is more conducive to learning. As all Honors courses are applicable toward the degree, no additional courses are required to participate.
WHAT ARE THE REGISTRATION AND ADVISEMENT PROCEDURES FOR HONORS STUDENTS?
Honors students have priority registration. Transfer information, counseling, and letters of recommendation can be obtained at the Honors Office.
WHAT SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE TO NCC HONORS GRADUATES?
The NCC Honors Program has many scholarship awards and transfer agreements with four-year institutions, including a $6,000 scholarship each year to Adelphi University. Additional scholarships are available to Hofstra University and other four-year SUNY schools such as Geneseo, Stony Brook and Old Westbury.