Important Changes to the FAFSA & Verification Process!
When filling out the FAFSA, NCC strongly recommends all students, parents, and spouses (if applicable) to upload their income tax information to their FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval tool. In order to do so, all parties must have already electronically filed their taxes, at least two weeks prior to filling out the FAFSA.
Students who are selected for verification and DID NOT use the IRS Data Retrieval tool will be required to:
- Complete and submit the Verification Worksheet.
- Submit an official Tax Return Transcript
Why do I need to hand in a ‘Tax Return Transcript’? There are several possibilities:
- You did not use the IRS data retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA
- You used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool but changed some of the data on the FAFSA afterwards
- You were randomly selected for verification by the Federal Government
- The FAFSA you submitted had estimated, incomplete or contradictory data
How do I obtain A TAX Return Transcript form the IRS? There are a few ways to obtain a copy of your (or Parent) Federal Tax Transcript from the IRS, but there are significant delays involved. It is important to plan ahead.
Online request at www.irs.gov :
- In the TOOLS section select “Order a Return or Account Transcript”
- Automated attendant – 1-800-908-9946 (recommended)
- 999 Stewart Avenue, 1st floor, Bethpage, NY 11714
You will need to provide the tax filer’s SSN, DOB and EXACT street address and zip code as it appears on the tax return.
Be sure to request a TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT. An Account Transcript is NOT acceptable. Nassau Community College is no longer allowed to accept a signed copy of a 1040, 1040ez, 1040a federal tax return to complete the verification process.